120 years ago today - Sep 11, 1892

[In St. George, Utah, priesthood meeting:] I then occupied the time of the meeting upon our political situation. Declared the policy of the Presidency of the Church and showed why it was necessary to have some Republicans under a Republican administration. I taught the brethren they must not allow any bitterness in their hearts one towards another. I announced my love for my Democratic brethren the same as for my Republican brethren. I referred to the disappointment of Pres[ident] [Wilford] Woodruff on discovering that there was not influence enough with the Presidency and Twelve to put one Republican in the legislature. I felt the time would come when we would wish we were not so fanatically democratic. The attention given to my talk was all I could ask.

They took what I said in the proper spirit. Bro[ther] Ivins made explanation that no prejudice had been felt against Republicans. Spoke of the courtesy they had extended to them. They were solid from conviction and not from any undue pressure or influence. I then said if they were all Democrats and could not help it I had no fault to find and the Republicans would have to get along without any help from them.

[Source: Francis M. Lyman, Diary]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Enter your Comment: