170 years ago today - Mar 11, 1843

[Joseph Smith Diary] ... 8 1/2 o'clock in the office, Joseph said he had tea with his breakfast. His wife asked him if [it] was good. He said if it was a little stronger he should like it better, when Mother Granger remarked, "It is so strong and good I should think it would answer Both for drink and food."

A dream then related. Night before last I [Joseph] dreamed that an /old/ man came to me /and said/ there was a mob force coming upon him, and he was likely to loose his life, that I was Lieut[enant] General and had the command of a large force. I was also a patriot and disposed to protect the innocent and unoffending and wanted I should assist him. I told him I wanted some written documents to show the facts that they are the agressors, and I would raise a force sufficient for his protection, that I would call out the Legion. He turned to go from me, but turned again and said to me. "I have any amount of men at my command and will put them under your command."

The words of Joseph: "While conversing about the sign in the heavens last evening, as sure as there is a God who sits enthroned in the heavens, and as sure as he ever spoke by me. So sure there will be a speedy and bloody war, and the broad sword seen last evening is the sure sign thereof."....

Joseph and Brigham had a pleasant and delighful ride and arrived at Bro[ther] McClary's in Ramus 15 minutes before 4 P.M. at Benjamine Johnson's to lodge while they staid in Ramus. In the eve[ning] Joseph pulled up Bro[ther] Moses with one hand pulling sticks.

[Source: Faulring, Scott (ed.), An American Prophet's Record: The Diaries and Journals of Joseph Smith: Joseph Smith Diary, 1843, http://amzn.to/jsdiaries]

1 comment:

Please Enter your Comment: