110 years ago today - Apr 9, 1904; Saturday

[Joseph F. Smith] I have only just received word from Elder [John W.] Taylor whose letter was written in Canada Mar[ch]. 16th but did not reach me until the 7th inst. His letter will speak for itself and I will forward it to you by this mail together with a letter received from Elder [Matthias F.] Cowley something over a week ago. You will see that they both refuse to voluntarily go before the Committee. Elder Cowley Says if he is subpoenaed he will go but will not put himself in the way. I regret that these brethren have decided to do as they have. ... And you will pardon me if I say that after the scandalous treatment I have received from the public press on account of my testimony given before the Committee, I cannot blame these gentlemen for the conclusion they have reached half so much as I might have done under other circumstances and fairer treatment.

Of course you know how I have been horribly caricatured and made hideous in cartoons, and slandered and lied about most outrageously, and all for what? Well, I will not take time to answer here.

...In relation to what Mrs. Stanley intends to say to the committee, if put upon the witness stand, I can only say that if Lillian H. Cannon told her that She "was married to Abra[ha]m H. Canon by President Jos[eph]. F. Smith, at Sea &c." She simply lied! I dislike to say that any lady would lie. And I am loath to believe that Mrs. Cannon every told anybody any such thing, for I cannot conceive what object she could have in making such a statement if she made it at all. I have been told by one of her most intimate friends that she herself denies every having told such a story.

To you, I will say that my wife accompanied me on that trip. I cannot recall a moment when I was in the presence of Mrs. Cannon that my wife was not with us. ....

[Source: Joseph F. Smith, letter to Reed Smoot, excerpt in Quinn Papers, original in LDS Archives]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Enter your Comment: