125 years ago today - Sep 9, 1889

First Counselor George Q. Cannon writes "President Woodruff, in reply, said . . . I feel that it is not proper for any marriages of this kind to be performed in this territory at the present time . . . He intimated, however, that such marriages might be solemnized in Mexico or Canada . . . I made no reply; for I was not fully prepared to endorse these remarks, and therefore thought it better to say nothing. . . . This is the first time that I have heard President Woodruff express himself so plainly upon this subject, and therefore I was not prepared to fully acquiesce in his expressions; for, to me, it is an exceedingly grave question, and it is the first time that anything of this kind has ever been uttered to my knowledge, by one holding the keys" Woodruff had previously made public statements that no more plural marriages were to be performed. This is the first time Cannon had heard him express it privately.

[Source: On This Day in Mormon History, http://onthisdayinmormonhistory.blogspot.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Enter your Comment: