150 years ago today - Sep 18, 1864

[Apostle Wilford Woodruff ] ... I Caught a scorpean between my finger & the stone and he stung me in the middle Joint of my fore finger which gave me a shook through my whole system. It was a small one & I mashed him to peaces in lifting the stone. This alarmed me somewhat as the Sting of a scorpeon is Considered vary dangerous with us as some have died with it. I soon got some tobaco & bound on which took the poison out & I received no material injury from it.

[Source: Wilford Woodruff's Journal: 1833-1898 Typescript, Volumes 1-9, Edited by Scott G. Kenney, Signature Books 1993, http://amzn.to/newmormonstudies]

4 comments:

  1. This was at/near St. George, Utah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why would WW do this? Does the ... provide any further clarification?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first part of his diary entry reads:

    18 Sunday We left Washington & drove to Harrisburgh & held a meeting under a bowery. A. Lyman L. Snow, & F. W. Richar[ds?] Spoke to the people followed by Presidet Young.//While on the road from washington to Harrisburgh we stoped on the Edge of a high precepice which presents every interesting scenery in the valley below & while standing there Brother Edings wished me to help him lift up a flat stone which he wished to throw off from the top of the precepice in to the depthe below. As I took hold of it ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - makes much more sense now.

      Delete

Please Enter your Comment: