75 years ago today - Jan 2, 1940

[President Heber J. Grant] James White, head of the Jewish people in Salt Lake, called with Rabbi Gordon and a gentleman from the East (I have forgotten his name.) They made a long appeal for the Church to advance several hundred thousand dollars and take some notes issued by the Jewish Relief people. Brother Clark and I assured them that we could not invest Church funds in anything of that kind. They suggested that we have the Beneficial Life Insurance company buy some of their notes. I had to smile when I thought of the idea of notes without security to raise funds for Jewish relief being passed by the Insurance Commissioner as legitimate assets. As they were going out Mr. White said he would have a talk with Orval Adams about it. I thought, I'll be perfectly willing to advance anything Orval would endorse. I did not tell them so however. There is no prejudice in the heart of hearts of the Latter-day Saints people against Jews. There never has been. We believe that they will eventually accept the Gospel.

[Source: Diary of Heber J. Grant, http://amzn.to/newmormonstudies]

1 comment:

  1. Note: Orval W. Adams was the 1st president of Zion's First National Bank.

    ReplyDelete

Please Enter your Comment: